Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Born-Again NHL Fan


I don't know about everyone else, but I can sure say after watching both U.S.A. vs. Canada hockey games during the Winter Olympics, I want to get back into following the National Hockey League.

Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, I was somewhat an NHL fan and would generally watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals, but usually not much regular season. I would say the reason for not watching the regular season was because Wisconsin has no professional team, so there was no team for me to root for. However, the playoffs and finals are more intense, so it was easier for me to watch and just pick a team to win.

Once the lockout came to fruition, the league completely lost me. Without watching the NHL as an option whenever I was bored during football's offseasons for both college and the National Football League, I became disinterested in professional hockey.

Then came college. During my last year at the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay (2008-09), I would occasionally go to Green Bay Gamblers hockey games because, one, I had someone to root for, and two, because the special those nights were two-dollar, 16 oz. beers. I can definitely say those games were a lot of fun, especially the goalie fight I was fortunate enough to see one night, probably the greatest hockey fight I have ever seen. Those moments somewhat rekindled a fire that had once been forgotten and I thought to myself, "I should get back into hockey."

The problem with that was that it was only a thought and I never acted on it. The beginning of this year's NHL season came before I even knew it and I'm stuck with what's remaining. To make things worse, the problem I had before the lockout still looms. Who do I root for? For me, watching a sporting event without someone to root for is like watching grass grow. My attention span will be short and I'm going to try to find something more interesting to watch.

So, as of now, I am currently in search for someone to claim as my team. Being from Wisconsin, I have to automatically rule out the Minnesota Wild and Chicago Blackhawks due to my hatred for their teams in other sports, i.e. Vikings, Bears, and Cubs (I really don't have much of a beef against the Twins, Bulls, Timberwolves.). Plus, I just cringe from the thought that I could ever say anything along the lines of, "Go Minnesota!" or, "Come on Chicago!" It's just wrong to me.

When it comes to Detroit, I feel like it would be wrong for me to become a fan of them due to the fact that they can be dynastic from time to time and I'm not much of a fan of dynasties unless it's my team. You, of course, should respond with, "Well, if you made the Red Wings your favorite team, you wouldn't have to worry about that." However, it would be less exciting for me to become a fan of a team that has been there, done that so often. I almost feel like it would be better for me to give my fandom to a team that may not get there as often so I can be there for the good and bad times. Why do you think I've stuck with the Brewers and Bucks my entire life?

Then there's the Nashville Predators, who's American Hockey Leauge afilliation team is the Milwaukee Admirals. So, in baseball terms, their Triple-A team. I'd love to be a fan of them, but with their games rarely being shown on any TV station I receive (which consists of basic cable channels, so Versus is pretty much it for hockey. I can't afford better than basic.), it would be tough for me to watch their games. It would basically be the same situation for any other team.

So I've come to you NHL fans. Can you help me out? Does anyone out there have any suggestions or advice for me? I don't want my rejuvinated fandom of hockey to die off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment